Subject: Re: OSDD?
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:30:34 +0100

Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:

> Ben Laurie writes:
>  > Tim O'Reilly wrote:
>  > > When I look at the most successful free software projects, I don't
>  > > see people contributing to them BECAUSE they are free, but because
>  > > they CAN.  The biggest benefit of free software isn't that it's free,
>  > > it's that it's adaptable, so you can solve your own problem.  So
>  > > trying to limit how much money people can make seems a bit off
>  > > the scent.
>  > >
>  > > As RMS might say, the issue isn't one of price; it's one of freedom.
>  >
>  > Exactly. Isn't this why we've all started saying "open source" instead
>  > of "free"?
>  >
>  > I'm quite happy with the idea that open source software can cost money -
>  > after all, it already does, look at Linux/FreeBSD/... - the important
>  > point is my ability to review, fix, contribute, modify, not the price
>  > tag.
>
>         An don't forget redistribute. That's important, too. And that
> makes per-copy prices go down, by competition in the distribution
> business, and by cooperation among users.

Actually, I didn't include redistribute deliberately, because it is not
clear to me that the idea that you should pay, for example, a
per-machine licence fee, is incompatible with the idea of open source.

Clearly you should be free to redistribute any changes you have made to
people who are entitled to run the unmodified source.

>                 Jesus.
>
> PS: In fact, I'd even say that what is important is your ability to
> distribute your fixes, contributions and modifications (not only to
> the original "autor", but to the community using that program as a
> whole).

Indeed.

Cheers,

Ben.