Subject: Re: How Microsoft Thinks
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 20:48:50 +0000

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Kragen writes:
>  >
>  > I suspect that "open source" is going to go the way of "escalator", though.
>  >

> I'm on the board of OSI (http://www.opensource.org), which in theory
> owns the trademark, and it's my plan that that won't happen.

As I understand it, if you don't actively protect a trademark then it
ceases to be protectable. I don't see anyone policing the use of the
term "open source". I'm not convinced I _want_ it protected, either, but
that's beside the point. Also, incidentally, "open source" was sold to
me as a term that was clearer in its meaning than "freeware" or other
similar terms. I only later became aware that it is (supposedly)
trademarked.

Cheers,

Ben.