Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:01:45 -0500

> This Brian Bartholomew agrees with that Brian Bartholomew.

Unless Russell took a high-resolution MRI of my brain when I wasn't
looking and is simulating it on a petaflop box, Brian Bartholomew
isn't IP.  IP means things that can be copied cheaply and used by many
people at once, without taking away use by the original possessor.  IP
means things like software, music on CDs, and bit-identical-copies of
Netscape and Red Hat.  IP does not mean land, physical objects, or
minds (at least until the Star Trek transporter is invented).

"All IP libre" doesn't mean you're allowed to lie, which is what a
fake bb@crynwr account is.  Under "all IP is libre", I could print out
Russell's posts to fsb, frame them, and sell them as genuine 100%
Russell postings, because they are.  But I couldn't forge postings and
sell them as "newly discovered Russells", because that would be lying.

P.S.  I have a newly discovered Picasso.  Bidding starts at US$50M.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text