Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:06:09 -0500

"Russell" == Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:

>> The reason libre software works at all (and, as others have noted, it
>> only works in some areas) is that there are a lot of people who will
>> create software for personal reasons.

Russell> I'm not sure this is 100% true.  Have you read Eric Raymond's
Russell> paper "Homesteading the Noosphere"?  There's a link to it off
Russell> of his home page at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr.  In it, he
Russell> discusses what motivates programmers to contribute to libre
Russell> projects.

I don't think Eric is 100% accurate in his paper (which I have read,
and even discussed critically with Eric on a couple of occasions).
I disagree with quite a bit of what Eric has to say.  In my opinion,
the majority of free software is written by people to scratch a
personal itch.  This means that we only get software that corresponds
to the personal needs of people actually able to program, and is
probably a great deal of the reason we don't have decent word
processing, accounting, or time management systems yet.