Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 08:13:15 -0500

> Think of the cost of administrating such a scheme.

How much does it cost to maintain one million name/address customer
records, and bill them once a year?  I bet you could do it for
$10M/year, so my price goes from $10 to $20.  If you pushed the
keypunching and envelope stuffing back onto customers by forcing them
to buy with a credit card through a web page, the cost would decrease
dramatically.  If you refused to offer a telephone number, the cost
would decrease even more dramatically.  I'm found in my consulting
practice that not publishing my phone number is a supurb bogon filter.

The overhead cost of my payment scheme is not in the first-degree-of-
separation customers, but in the recursive payments as parts of
packages get intermingled.  In this scenario, name-brand software
distributors could add value as license payment clearinghouses or
consolidators.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text