Subject: Re: contra-ESR and the principle of infinite exploitation
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:32:28 -0500

> I think you're missing the biggest advantage of Open Source(tm) --
> that it greatly reduces transaction costs.

> Any plan to preserve proprietary software to protect the pocketbooks
> of programmers will likely make programmers richer, but everyone
> will be worse off by more than the amount the programmers get from it.

Purchase price can be analyzed as a trade sanction.  Removing purchase
price leads directly to collectivism.  This may or may not produce
goods and services more efficiently than capitalism:

	When collectivism works, it works very well: GNU and Linux
	When collectivism fails, it fails bigtime: office packages

The question becomes: for any given software project, what is the
minimal amount of capitalism needed to motivate people to do that
work?  I think the market answers this.  If a libre software project
doesn't already exist, consider paying someone to create a non-libre
one.  *The problem* is that IPR don't decay in Internet time.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.uu.net/doc/lpf/patents.text