Subject: Re: embedded systems vs. GPL
From: Jonathan Ryshpan <jon%amito.halsp.hitachi.com@HITACHI.HITACHI.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 09:25:51 PDT

>>    Has anyone put GPL'ed software into an embedded system?  How have you
>>    dealt with the source requirement?
>> The short answer, for our embedded customers, is that they don't, at
>> least not so far.
>
>I'm confused.  What is the problem?

The problem is corporate inertia, or more exactly, the inertia of large
organizations.  To abide with the terms of the license the vendor of the
embedded system has to:

    Define policies for the release of sources.

    Set a price for providing it.

    Include an offer of source in the documentation.

    Make sure that the corresponding version of the library source
    is available for shipment.

    Assign some person or department to fulfill requests for source.

All of this has to be done in agreement with the shipping, marketing, and
documentation departments, which are typically at a very great distance
from engineering in the corporate structure.

Doing something like this usually requires the active support of CEOs or
at least Executive VPs, who don't understand the issues and don't want
to get involved.

Many Thanks:

Jonathan Ryshpan		<jon@halsp.hitachi.com>

	===============> I write for myself ONLY. <===============