Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 21:24:08 +0100

John Gilmore wrote:

> > However, my fundamental problem with OSI is becoming clearer to me: I am
> > being asked to endorse[1] a term that is controlled by a closed,
> > self-appointed group that I have no control over.
>
> That sounds a lot like the Free Software Foundation to me.  It's run
> by a small self-elected board, whose fundamental policy is to do
> whatever RMS wants.  (I'm not saying this is good or bad, just saying
> that it appears to be how the corporation is set up.)
>
> Ben, do you endorse the FSF?

The FSF have made it abundantly clear that they don't endorse me, and I
think that the term "free software" is sufficiently divorced from the
FSF to be independent of their stance.

> Or do you perhaps think you have control over RMS or the FSF?

That'd be the day. However, RMS and the FSF don't control the term "free
software". This is important, IMO.

Cheers,

Ben.

--