Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:21:38 +0100

Tim O'Reilly wrote:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >

> > The current members are Eric S. Raymond, Russell Nelson, Chip
> > Salzenberg, Ian Murdock, L. Peter Deutsch, and Brian Behlendorf.
> >
> > Ian
>
> It's probably worth mentioning that Bruce Perens resigned last
> month, and L. Peter Deutsch and Brian Behlendorf were just added
> in the past couple of weeks.  So this is a board in transition.

Hmmm ... and would that be to do with this:

                               >> HARD NEWS <<
                                hilarity ensues

         Sure, Open Source methods produce stable code: but what
         about the people? ERIC S RAYMOND's warning that prominent
         free software advocates were in danger of getting "burnt out"
         took a sinister new turn this week, when Bruce Perens
         relayed an e-mail from him onto the Debian Developers
         mailing list. "If you ever again... insult me," trilled Eric
         to his old Open Source pal, "and jeopardize the interests of
         our entire tribe... I will find a way to make you regret it.
         Watch your step." Not one to over-react to a flamewar, Bruce
         promptly contacted the police, and warned everyone he knew
         ("Because I know Eric is a firearms enthusiast"). Later,
         Bruce discovered, much to his surprise, that ESR "meant to
         threaten me with 'defamation of character', not with any
         kind of violence", and withdrew his concerns. Not so fast,
         Bruce. He's been saying that he's under a lot of work pressure
         - and it's always the quiet ones that keep to themselves...
         I'd watch out for that Linus guy.

??

This kind of thing doesn't fill me with joy, you won't be amazed to
hear.

Cheers,

Ben.

--