Subject: Re: Big software struggles with open source
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:59:58 +0900 (JST)

The problem may be the journalists, but the solution isn't going to
be.  <sigh>

    Brian> My turn to get bitten by the misunderstanding journalist:

    Brian>    Open-source proponents admit that very few people are
    Brian> actually involved in development. "I think there's always a
    Brian> core team around any open-source project that does the
    Brian> majority of actual implementation into the code base,"
    Brian> wrote Brian Behlendorf,[...]

    Brian> grrr.

Hey, for most of them it's a "day job."

I understand your point, and sympathize.  We wish that we could deal
with the professional members of other professions.

But simply telling the truth isn't enough.  (My mother was a part-time
journalist for a while.  She tried, she cared.  She still got it wrong
pretty often.  Sometimes even due to an error on _her_ part.)  If the
"professional" journalist doesn't follow up, then the interviewee has
to do so.

One _can_ make a difference.  _Call_ the journalist's editor and
complain.  _Cite_ the Web page where one makes public one's suspicion
that that journalist in question is simply, uh, mentally sub-par
("look, what I really said is right there in black-and-white, count
the projects and multiply by ten, get 5,000 hard-core open source
programmers---_Microsoft_ only has 5,000; count the devel mailing list
members and get 50,000 testers" etc, etc).  Squeaky wheels.

Yes, this looks suspiciously like "day job."  I don't say it's Brian's
or anybody's in particular.  Being Buddha was a day job, too.
Remember, he didn't get to Nirvana until after the preaching was over.
(Of course, he made that sacrifice so we could take a more direct
route.  Go to the beach; Buddha will smile that famous half-smile.)

But if somebody gets the urge....  Or if somebody has access to a
corporate PR budget, and her company supports open source development
(even if not; if your words are misquoted, your company suffers from
your loss of reputation, and they may care enough to do something
about it), sic the local pro on the errant journalist.  That _is_
_his_ day job.