Subject: Re: proprietary -- a truism
From: Bob Young <bob@redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:45:14 -0400

> I think Microsoft, Sun, Cygnus, Red Hat, and FSF lie along an openness
> continuum,

You could argue that there are two continuums - the for-profit one
and the academic one.

This thread is largely a debate on the academic spectrum, where
software licensing as currently taught in the nation's law schools
are at one end of the spectrum and the FSF is at the other, with the
OSI being very close to the FSF end.

The for-profit debate is much simpler - the free market decides, and to
date it has decided that the proprietary license model is more
effective .  Although some of us, including to a greater or lessor extent
SUN, Cygnus, and Red Hat, are trying to change that.

You can't argue that free markets make rational decisions, but to
paraphrase Churchill: it may not be a very good system for deciding
these issues but it's better than any of the others. Including
debating these issues endlessly on this list.  ;-)

Of course this does ignore the rule-setting role government plays in a
free society, but I sure don't want to go there.

Bob.

Phone 919-547-0012 x227			Fax   919-547-0024
P.O. Box 13588				email: bob@redhat.com
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709	http://www.redhat.com