Subject: Funding Open Source Development
From: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@hypernews.org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 00:27:45 -0400 (EDT)

Norman Jacobowitz writes:
 > While there are major differences between the above, the general theme
 > is: allow sponsors to provide funding to entice development of certain
 > Open Source projects that are not currently underway.

Curiously, I was coming up with some of the same ideas, of publically
shared sponsorship of developers who bid on projects.  I was delaying
posting my ideas until I had time to work them over some more, but if
anyone is interested, I'll email to you.

So I generally like the idea, and I am very happy to see others working
on it.  There are a number of hairy issues that seem to come up whenever
money gets involved, so we can be sure there will be some interesting
times ahead if we try this.

I was also planning to add features to my HyperNews system to support
all phases of the process.  That could still happen, but I'd need
funding to motivate me. :-)

  http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/hypernews.html

--
liberte@hypernews.org