Subject: Re: Sun, BSD, and GNU
From: Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
Date: 31 May 1999 19:36:51 -0700

"Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com> writes:

> Yes, that is commercial impact, but it misses my point.  My guess
> is that the "volunteerism" impact of BSD vs. GPL is similar.  But
> the "paid in dollars" in businesses who've leveraged
> BSD-licensed code is much greater.

Leveraged it into Free Software, or leveraged it into proprietary
software?  Which license lets companies leverage free software into
proprietary code with the most profit return, is not a question I
think is worth pursuing, particularly in a "Free Software Business"
context, since by definitions such companies would not be Free
Software companies.

What is the "paid in dollars" total for businesses which have produced
*Free Software* from BSD code?

What is the "paid in dollars" total for businesses which have produced
*Free Software* from GPL code?

How about for public domain code?  Perhaps there is another license we
should consider?  What perspective would we gain by measuring the
amount of Free Software produced by such companies as opposed to their
"paid in dollars" totals.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to
measure revenues for products that are either Free Software, or
directly related to a Free Software product, as opposed to their
revenues which may come from other sources.

My definition of Free Software being something along the lines of the
DFSG.  Perhaps we should look at just the top five for each category.
I'll let you pick them.  Perhaps I should just do this research
myself, but I honestly have no clue as to go about getting numbers for
something like this.  I ask these questions honestly, so any help
would be appreciated.  This includes pointers to places I could gather
these numbers at.  Perhaps we could all benefit from a little survey
like this.

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz