Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:25:47 -0600 (MDT)

    E.g., Apache 1.2 and Apache 1.3 are different versions of Apache, whereas
    Stronghold and Websphere are distinctly *not* versions of, but are
    derivatives of, and do not carry the name "Apache" except as to refer to
    an origin of some of their code.

I see the distinction you're making, but I use the word "version of"
in a more general way, so I would think of them both as "versions of
Apache".  I have no intention of criticizing your policies about use
of the name "Apache", but I'm talking about the substance, not the
name.  People running Stronghold are running a modified Apache, even
if they are not running "Apache".

Anyway, now it should be clear what I meant to say.

      I think the net effect of statements like that from someone like
    you would be to discourage people (and other businesses) from working on
    or otherwise contributing to BSD/MIT/Apache-style-licensed code,

I am certainly not trying to discourage that.  I do try to discourage
people from choosing non-copyleft licenses (and *especially* licenses
with the BSD advertising clause) for their new packages.  But I also
say good things (every time anyone asks) about IBM for contributing to
Apache.