Subject: Re: People only buy support for bad software ?!?
From: hecker@netscape.com (Frank Hecker)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:26:46 -0400

Russell Nelson wrote:
> Frank Hecker writes:
>  > I don't know if the FSB list has a web-accessible archive, but if
>  > anyone's interested I'll dig up the old message.)
>
> ftp://ftp.crynwr.com/fsb/archive/*

Actually, the URL is <ftp://ftp.crynwr.com/pub/fsb/archive/>.  The
messages I was thinking of are

  ftp://ftp.crynwr.com/pub/fsb/archive/11/34
  ftp://ftp.crynwr.com/pub/fsb/archive/11/38
  ftp://ftp.crynwr.com/pub/fsb/archive/11/46

The first two address the general issue of technical support fees (or
right-to-use license fees for proprietary software) as payment for a
vendor's attention, with pricing of support (or right-to-use licenses)
on a per-user basis as a business practice intended to reflect the fact
that large organizations tend to require more attention as customers
than small ones.  The third considers the (quite reasonable) objection
that in a libre software world the attention of any one vendor has no
greater value to the customer than the attention of any other vendor
(because in theory every vendor has equal access to source code and
technical expertise).

Frank
--
Frank Hecker            Work: http://people.netscape.com/hecker/