Subject: Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:19:07 -0400

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>:
>        Ian> He adopts some ideas I first saw clearly expressed in Neal
>        Ian> Stephenson's In the Beginning paper about software following
>        Ian> a natural evolution from application to infrastructure.
>
>    URL?
>
> http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

Terrific essay.  But tMC was already close to complete when I first read it.
I did notice some parallelism in ideas, but barely gave that a thought.  It's
*time* for these concepts; any halfway intelligent observer would have to
work hard not to invent them.
--

The saddest life is that of a political aspirant under democracy. His
failure is ignominious and his success is disgraceful.