Subject: Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron
From: craig@jcb-sc.com
Date: 26 Jun 1999 14:35:00 -0000

>    esr> Nevertheless, I hear objections that seem to issue from a
>    esr> commons model very often.
>
>Hmm.  Well, I don't.  But then, neoclassical economists who listen
>long enough to get to that point will get the species of market
>failure right ;-)

FWIW, I seem to recall "tragedy of the commons" arguments being raised
on gnu.misc.discuss years ago.

What I'm not sure about is whether those arguments were raised vis-a-vis
OSS (well, GPL'ed software) or about some less-on-topic issue, such
as taxation.

Anyway, Eric's assertion that he hears these objections rings true enough
with me.  As I think I've said before in this forum, I've heard some
pretty stunning objections to things like OSS, made seriously by people
who seem pretty "normal", but whose objections are fairly incredible,
including the ones that basically amount to "but *that* can't work, unless
it can make people like Bill Gates richer"!

        tq vm, (burley)

P.S. Still haven't read the new esr paper, or even the Noosphere one, yet.