Subject: Re: Returns to service professionals (was Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron)
From: Geoffrey Crawshaw <gcrawshaw@timebills.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:13:50 -0400

I think this will become a bigger issue as applications move from the
desktop to the web-top. Web-top applications are the future of software
and Open Source tools are a powerful enabling factor in the creation
of web-top applications. Some mechanism to appropriately compensate the
developers of the Open Source tools that enable the web-top needs to be
created.

Our web-top time billing service is built exclusively from Open Source
tools. We purchase support contracts and buy Open Source documentation
where possible, but I feel it is small compensation for the value we
derive from the tools. I would love to see the development of other
mechanism's (maybe micro-payments have a niche here) to fairly reflect
the value of these tools.

--
Geoff Crawshaw
CTO