Subject: Re: Software Trademarks
From: "R. Brock Lynn" <brock@cyberdude.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:56:20 -0500

Greg Broiles wrote:

> > All lawyers should just be hung, I suspect. We'd have a lot fewer problems
> > with stupid crap like trademarks if they were.
>
> It's funny - some tech people think lawyers are useless and ought to be
> hung, and that law ought to "just work" without much fuss or attention,
> very much the same way that some lawyers think tech people are useless
> and ought to be hung, and computers ought to "just work" without much
> fuss or attention.

The Chinese discovered this very "fact" just a few thousand years ago. Sun Tsu
not only knew about this "just work" philosophy, he even wrote it down and saved
it for posterity!

Now, is anyone brave enough to actually read and allow themselves to comprehend
it... and then live according to it... That's what *I* wanna know! =)

> It's tempting to say that people who can't appreciate the complexity and
> subtle nuances of other people's professions/interests/disciplines ought
> to be hung, but it's unnecessary - that behavior is self-punishing, and
> the punishment usually takes the form of frustration, wasted effort, and
> confusion.

Well, instead of "appreciate" it should be more like complete and utter
"respect". As for the hanging, if you hung everyone who committed an error of
disrespect, then pretty soon there would be no one left to respect or to do the
disrespecting. I'd try to be a catalyst for letting nature teach the "offender"
the simple truism that to respect something else is to respect yourself.
(positive == life) To disrespect something else is to disrespect yourself.
(negative == death) Then let him chose whether he wants life or death. Life
generally likes to keep propagating itself, so generally he will choose life.
Which is good to know. :)

Then again, Sun Tsu said it best:

To accomplish after striving is not worthy of being called accomplishment.

=)

Just let it *flow* ... It *will* just *work*. Of course you want to be able to
"master" which way the general direction of the "flow" goes, negative or
positive, but other than that, just let it flow. :)

People with not quite fully mature hang-ups are like little turbulence pockets
that interrupt the otherwise would be nice flow.

If ALL lawyers would just allow themselves to FIX themselves in ALL areas of
their lives, and come to peace with themselves, Then the legal "system" would be
magnificent indeed... Wow, just ponder on that a minute... and see how it
settles. =)

Same is true of tech support guys... =)

*sigh*

When will the world just wake the hell up and smell the Taoist coffee? =)

Ahhh

By deep knowledge of principle, one can change disturbance into order, change
danger into safety, change calamity into fortune. By strong action on the Way,
one can bring the body to longevity, bring the mind to the sphere of mystery,
bring the world to great peace, and bring tasks to great fulfillment...

Like actually creating an honest lawyer!

Like actually creating a helpful techie!

Like making Linux into the most supremely powerful and efficient operating
system in the known universe.

Like making Debian GNU/Linux the most mind blowing OS distribution that has ever
graced the fabric of the space-time continuum.

[Off topic I know, but, oh well... couldn't help the Lawyer bait.]

--Brock

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU       R. Brock Lynn             (bytopian on irc #debian)
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/     irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                    Free Software!
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <    Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom!,
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   Not Free as in price.      Debian's 'Da Bomb!