Subject: Re: New angle on the patent problem
From: Assaf Arkin <arkin@exoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:39:11 -0700

Situation right now is that software patents are not accepted in Europe,
yet. But they are thinking of changing this.

Common practice is to buy a patent license only for software distributed
in the US, and freely distribute it in Europe with disregard for the
patent.

I agree that software patents should be abolished, but my lobby power in
Congress is very limited ;-) But I don't think an open source license
solution is the best way to go about it.

arkin

Bernard Lang wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:11:50PM -0400, shapj@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > While I agree with his view on the merit of softare patents, Craig
> > omits an important point that contributed to their adoption:
> > software patent was already established outside the US.
>
> Where ? not in Europe ... we do not have it yet, and corporations take
> argument from US patents to try introducing them in Europe.
>
> > Rules that maintain a zero-sum game across national boundaries are
> > generally a good thing.  If we were to succeed at getting them
> > abandoned in the US, we would then be at a disadvantage in
> > international trade.  The trick, if anybody cares to tackle it, is
> > to get them abandoned universally.
>
> and I believe that the country taht does not have them has a
> competitive advantage, since its companies can always patent abroad,
> while having no local constraints on technology development.
>
> > Jonathan S. Shapiro
> >

> --
> Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469
>             INRIA / B.P. 105 / 78153 Le Chesnay CEDEX / France
>          Je n'exprime que mon opinion - I express only my opinion
>                  CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX

Assaf Arkin                               arkin@exoffice.com
CTO                                  http://www.exoffice.com
Exoffice, The ExoLab Company             tel: (650) 259-9796