Subject: Re: Oracle's opposition to software patents
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:45:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Michael A. Olson wrote:
> Apropos the long-running discussion here, I thought people would
> be interested in a Slashdot article on software patents.  The story
> is that while Oracle Corp. opposes software patents, it's forced to
> acquire them as a defensive measure.

The interesting thing is that those who acquire them for defensive
measures, and net patent licensees as a whole, should be prime candidates
for enlisting support to diminish or change the impact of patents on
software, whereas net licensors would most likely not support such an
effort.  So this will be a great litmus test to determine whether a given
company's claim that it's a defensive measure is actually the truth.

	Brian