Subject: Re: "On Virus" -- get real
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:11:07 -0600 (MDT)

    I like "partnership". I think it conveys the spirit of all parties being
    equal. "Hereditary" conveys an impression of privilege passed down blood-lines
    with no thought of an individual's competence, as with royalty, which is not
    the impression we're out to create.

I think that "partnership" expresses the social relationship that the
GPL aims to create, but "hereditary" fits the way the GPL passes into
extended versions--they inherit the use of the GPL, from the code they
contain which was obtained under the GPL.

"Inheritance license" and "persistent" are also good.