Subject: Re: Open Content woes
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:37:34 +0900 (JST)

We now return you to the slim-n-trim addressee list.

    rn> A certification mark requires the same control over the
    rn> licensee's use, so it can't just be a certification mark in
    rn> name, you have to actually certify the software.

    rn> So, to make money off a certification mark, first you create
    rn> Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt about non-certified versions
    rn> (which frankly is counter to the message that OSI has been
    rn> putting out -- which is that many eyes make few bugs) and then
    rn> dispel that FUD by certifying that the software is neither
    rn> fearful, uncertain, nor doubtful.

Joke first:

Wow, that's a snap, then, unless you're working on AE (Artificial
Emotion) software.  I assure you that none of my shell scripts ever
quail or whimper, even before the dreaded suicidal `rm -rf /'!

Serious point:

It is not counter to the OSI's message.  Precisely because free
software is free, you have no certainty that many eyes have looked at
it.  In fact, if you buy customized free software from a consultant,
it is likely that only two eyes have ever looked at exactly the parts
of the software you are most worried about.