Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GPL-like hardware design license?
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:42:18 -0600 (MDT)

    ``If you will make your software free, you can use this code.''

    How about, "you can use this code, if we can use your software for free."

No thanks.  If I don't have the freedom to share and change your
program, I don't want it even if you pay me to take it.

The GPL is designed to promote those freedoms.  It's seems that the
reason you are unhappy with the GPL is that you don't like that goal.
You want people to give up their freedom, so as to use your
proprietary software.  You say it is ok for people to be subjugated,
as long as they accept subjugation "voluntarily".  And you want to use
my code to help tempt them into giving up their freedom.

Well, I voluntarily decline to contribute my code to such a project.
I express this decision by using the GPL.

The GPL offers you a deal for how to use my code: you can use it if
you will make your package free software.  In effect, you can use
our community's code if you contribute your work to the community.

If you won't accept this deal, that's ok, we can't win 'em all.  The
deal is accepted often enough to achieve its goal, which is to help
build up the free software community.  If you don't want to
contribute, that's ok; other people do.