Subject: Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:28:17 -0400 (EDT)

Richard Stallman writes:
 >       If Stallman wants a GNU/Linux distribution, he
 >     should create a Linux distribution, and call it GNU.
 >
 > We want users to know that the various popular system distributions,
 > such as Debian and Red Hat and Caldera, are all variants of the
 > GNU/Linux system.

You mean Debian Linux (8205), Redhat Linux (19427), and Caldera Linux
(1153)?  Or do you mean Debian GNU/Linux (14894), Redhat GNU/Linux
(36), or Caldera GNU/Linux (1)?  The official name of Debian is
"Debian GNU/Linux", and yet nearly a third of Altavista's matches are
for "Debian Linux".

If you want credit for Linux, ask Linus to put your name in the
CREDITS file (actually, I've just sent off an entry to him for you).
Don't expect us to change the name of the operating system just to
make you happy.

 >     Linux is a perfectly good name for an operating system.
 >
 > It would have been a perfectly good name, but the principal developers
 > of this particular system use the name GNU.

As I said, you're welcome to put together a Linux distribution and
call it GNU (and I would probably switch to it), but GNU/Linux is
butt-ugly.  I'll never run GNU/Linux.  I run Debian, or Linux, or
Debian Linux.

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com