Subject: Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: Kristofer Coward <kris@snow.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:03:26 -0400 (EDT)

> I see you used the passive form of the word.  *Who* had to make a
> compromise?  RMS?  Because he didn't bother to create GNU out of the
> parts he created and the parts Linus and many others created?  Did
> Linus have to make a compromise?  Heck no, there's no naming strings
> attached to the GPL.  Did I have to compromise?

RMS did because a whole bunch of people were already using the name Linux,
and he wanted to play nice.. of course because humour is seldom (if ever)
dimploatic, the idea of the name as a joke being told poorly has been
completely hidden.

I'd call it just plain GNU myself, but then no one would know what I'm
talking about :)