Subject: Re: "rights" and "freedoms"
From: Stephen Turnbull <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:53:23 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com> writes:

    rn> It seems unfair or unwise to base a business plan on friction
    rn> in the market,

    turnbull> Coca-Cola.  (If you don't get it, the hint is "trade
    turnbull> secret.")

    Brian> I thought any number of food technologists have been able
    Brian> to produce a liquid which tastes like Coke, but what people
    Brian> were buying was the brand, not the taste.

If that's not friction, what is?

But that's irrelevant.  What I meant is that for _decades_ it wasn't
possible.  History matters, my man, study some.

The point is that all true trade secrets rely purely and solely on
friction.  In open source software, the timing is much faster, and
"trade secret" is not an available friction (post-release).  But other
frictions can be used.