Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:20:56 -0400 (EDT)

Russ Nelson writes:
> RMS is in the majority of people who think that economics is about
> money.  It's not.  Economics is the study of what people do with their
> freedom -- why they make the choices they make.

Economics is the study of what fictional people with purely selfish
motivations, and classically perfect information about their
alternatives and perfect strategy, do.  It is not the study of what
people actually do, in large numbers or otherwise; predicting that
requires a more advanced form of psychology than we currently possess.

In Eben Moglen's inimitable prose:
     When we reach this point in the argument, we find ourselves
     contending with the other primary protagonist of educated idiocy:
     the econodwarf. Like the IPdroid, the econodwarf is a species of
     hedgehog,[9] but where the droid is committed to logic over
     experience, the econodwarf specializes in an energetic and
     well-focused but entirely erroneous view of human nature.
     According to the econodwarf's vision, each human being is an
     individual possessing "incentives," which can be retrospectively
     unearthed by imagining the state of the bank account at various
     times.

	-- http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/my_pubs/anarchism.html,
	   http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue4_8/moglen/index.html

Reasoning from economic principles doesn't necessarily mean you,
yourself, only care about money (or other payoffs).  It means you think
everybody else does, or at least that that is a good enough
approximation to have great predictive power.

Tue Oct 19 1999
21 days until the Internet stock bubble bursts on Monday, 1999-11-08.