Subject: Re: Data on open source business impact
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:24:17 -0700

Tim O'Reilly wrote:

> Also, what other market share figures might we be able to track like the
> netcraft server survey and internet operating system counter?  What kind
> of "hidden signatures" might tell us about open source use at  big
> companies, for instance?
>
> (A good example of this latter point:  we sucked down the Amazon
> purchase circle data, and were interested to note that Perl appeared in
> more corporate purchase circles top ten lists than any other technology
> topic.  The only topic that showed up more often in the entire purchase
> circle database was Harry Potter.)

Any other nuggets you've pulled out of there, Tim?

IIRC, the purchase circle program was shut down really hard at Amazon.
If you pulled a significant snapshot of it, you might be sitting on a
mine of really useful data.

Got an interest in employing a SAS analyst with a heavy mind to getting
more Perl/R/MySQL savvy to take a few runs through it? <g>

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)