Subject: Re: Foo scalibility (was Re: Reuse - is it for real?)
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 07:07:26 +0000

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> <continuing to catch up on dead threads>

> >     Crispin>    * Open source approach: I really like the Foo
> >     Crispin> application, but I wish it had a Bar feature. <hack hack
> >     Crispin> hack> There, now it has a bar feature.
> >
> > The standard objection to this in the management literature is that it
> > doesn't scale.
>
> Doesn't scale to large Bar, or doesn't scale to many Bars, or both?

Either way ... the standard management literature appears to claim that the
Linux kernel phenomena (large, complex project implemented over long period
of time by loose-knit group of geographically dispered people who never
met) is not possible.  When the theory doesn't fit the facts, you change
the theory, not the facts.  The standard management books are wrong.

I'm just taking wild-assed guesses about what is right :-) but the old
wisdom is definitely wrong.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com