Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 13:17:22 -0800

I certainly agree with this position.  My point was just that Bruce's
message, suggesting that it was Stephen's postings only that were going
unread, was incorrect.  The fact that the discussion has gotten out of
line and needed to be terminated needs to be separated from a message
that implied that postings by only one of the participants was
unwelcome.

If the message had said, "Stephen, Richard, et al, it would be better if
you took this offline, I would have seen no need to post a message in
support of Stephen."

shapj@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Tim, All:
>
> I believe that at this point the conversation is unlikely to result in
> resolution; only better articulated positions.  This has obvious value for
> the participants, but limited value to those of us who are deleting 15-20
> emails a day without reading them.
>
> While I feel that the discussion is valuable and should occur, it does not
> seem to me that FSB is the most appropriate forum at this point.  Might
> gnu.discuss be a more appropriate forum?
>
> Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph. D.
> IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
> Email: shapj@us.ibm.com
> Phone: +1 914 784 7085  (Tieline: 863)