Subject: Re: Red Hat and Cygnus unify
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:24:25 -0500

> My guess is that the money was too good to pass up.  (And I don't
> mean that venally.  Even though it's a private company, Cygnus has
> investors and shareholders, and has a fiduciary duty to them.)

Freedom and compensation are a tradeoff.  I repeat my claim that 'free
software' is about wide questions of business practices more than
narrow questions of licenses.  The standard interpretation of
'fiduciary duties' appear to be short-term profit-maximizing.  Perhaps
to be considered an fsb, a company should state bounds on the
freedom/compensation tradeoff in a way binding on fiduciary duties.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu