Subject: Re: Code acceptance policies/contracts?
From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:17:40 -0800

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 07:59:35AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Interesting.  So if a company distributes GPLd software without granting
> patent rights, it's committed copyright violation in the act of
> distributing any source for which it itself isn't the copyright holder?
> I think this is what I'm reading.  You?

It works when there are two or more developers using each others copyrighted
work. Developer 1 sues developer 2 for patent infringement. Developer 2 sues
developer 1 for copyright infringement.

Copyright holders of GPL work are the ones who can bring suit effectively.
A user could perhaps bring suit for breach of contract, but that's really
thin ice.

	Thanks

	Bruce