Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright? (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:46:01 -0500

> This is a silly argument.  Things *are* changing in the free
> software world if free software businesses start gobbling each other
> up.

If there were sufficient free software developers to support building
many large companies, it would be less of a concern.  With a small
population, even one large company (I don't consider even Red Hat to
be large - yet) can absorb a large fraction of the development
community and stifle the "evolution" of the community by cutting down
the flow of communications.  Companies who truly believe in the free
software model won't be a problem - they'll understand that
communication is key to survival - but those who don't and use a more
"conventional" business model may get burned, and if they're big
enough, may burn us also.