Subject: Re: Order entry application user group
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:28:37 -0500

Tim writes:
> I wasn't thinking of anything so complex, but instead using the same
> good faith mechanisms that the open source community uses.

I think those mechanisms work best when most of the players are
maximizing hobby appeal.  When profit is introduced to incent
programmers, some players start to maximize profit, and exploit the
loopholes for free riders, lock-in, monopoly rent, etc.  I'm looking
for a more legally robust mechanism, based on contracts rather than
goodwill, that will still work for mutually suspicious competing
profit maximizers.  This will require a license that is at least
temporarily proprietary, but my goal is results similar to free
software, for application areas and customers where free software
hasn't penetrated.

> If it's under an open source license, all we need are mechanisms for
> implementing shared work.

I think that hypothesis predicts that an acceptable open source order
entry application (patent application scheduling app, MS Office clone,
etc.) should already exist.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu