Subject: Re: Ariba - open?
From: skud+usenet@netizen.com.au (Kirrily 'Skud' Robert)
Date: 27 Jan 2000 06:27:34 GMT

In article <14479.49868.612810.195503@desk.crynwr.com>, Russell Nelson wrote:

>It's not *all* loss.  If done carefully, it can mean an extension of
>your "reach".  If you've got a staff, you can get them to do the
>grunt-work of implementing your ideas.  Someday I hope to have a staff
>to implement my ideas.  Being the boss, I won't have to convince
>somebody else that my ideas are worth doing.  Some will be successful,
>some won't.  But I'll have FUN.

The problem there is having enough people and enough time for them to do
it.  We have *so* many ideas, but we seem to spend all our time
installing yet-another-bloody-linux-box for some wannabe ISP who hasn't
realised they're 5 years too late, or yet-another-bloody-database-backend-
perl-cgi-website for this week's unexciting e-commerce thing.

>And if you're successful at something, society gives you the means to
>be more successful.  "That was nice; here's some money; go do it
>again."  That's why capitalism is so successful at making most people
>well-off.  It does a very good job of finding the productive people
>who are dissatisfied with the current state of affairs and who have
>the wherewithal to improve things.

Takes a little while to get the ball rolling though.  Which is why I
seem to spend all my time at the moment either writing business plans,
interviewing prospective staff, or running round tearing my hair out
with stress.

Argh.

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud@netizen.com.au - http://netizen.com.au/
"So i get the chance to reread my postings to asr at times, with a