Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:21:28 +0000

"William C. Cheng" wrote:

>   | Non sequetor.  I *am* speaking for myself.
>   | No one has degraded a whole category of people.
>   | I've been a post doc or a professor for 5 years,
>   | and Tilly's characterization is accurate in my experience.  I'm sorry
>   | if you find it disappointing that the reality of academia doesn't live
>   | up to your expectations.
>
> My experence has been entirely different.  I see that you do publish
> with some good people.  I'm sorry if you find it disapointing in
> academia.

I do NOT find it disapointing.  I'm trying to give you a realistic view of
academia as it actually is.  I am a member of that community, and I am not
maligning that community.

>   | >   | Lets try and stay civilized here.
>   | > Even if you find his nonsense agreeable, why do you have to publically
>   | > degrade people in academia?  Please be civilized yourself.
>   | I *am* in academia, and I don't feel degraded.  That's the point:
>   | it is *not* a degrading stereotype, it is an accurate charcterization.
>
> So, you can just degrade a category full of people just because you
> feel that you have some experience to justify it?  What day and age
> are we in?

Once more for clarity:  no maligning happened.  I feel I can speak with authority
about the characteristics of a community that I am a part of.

>   | ObFSB:  would FSB proprietors feel "maligned" if someone characterized
>   | their marketing activities through personal networking as "establish
>   | connections of value to their future careers and can guide the subject
>   | in ways that benefit the clique that they are in"?  If so, why?  If
>   | not, then why is it "maligning" to characterize
>   | academic networking like that?
>
> This is exactly my point.  If you discuss FSB issues here, you won't
> hear a thing from me.  If Ben and you go degrade academic types in
> misc.bash.academia, I'm all for it.

Ok, lets talk about FSBs.  Is it maligning to say that most business people are
primarily interested in money?  If so, why?  If not, why is it different for
business than academia?  You responded to my point above, but did not answer the
questions.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com