Subject: Re: Open-sourcing business operations code?
From: David Fetter <shackle@fetter.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:40:13 -0800 (PST)

Russell Nelson wrote:

> I'm working with a vendor on his proprietary POS program.  He's open
> to the idea of running it under Linux; no problem there.  Since they
> solely use the program in-house, they seem like a perfect case for
> freeing their software.  He's wondering, though, if anyone else has
> done this.  They're a Microsoft shop, so they're not at all familiar
> with this open source stuff.  Anybody have any experience with a
> retail vendor open-sourcing their business operations code?

I've seen a few cautionary tales go on this way.  Basically, all the
short cuts they took documenting the code, sticking to coding
standards, etc. have to be gone before that code leaves your shop.
Otherwise, it looks *really* bad, and nobody picks it up.  It also
helps to put somebody in-house on the release full-time for about a
month for every 10,000 lines of code in the code base.

Cheers,
          David Fetter            888 O'Farrell Street Apt E1205
       david@fetter.org           San Francisco, CA 94109-9046
http://fetter.org/~shackle phone: +1 415 567 2690 fax: +1 415 567 2340

I just drank *what*?
                                       Socrates