Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!?
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:04:55 -0300

> Personally, I think it's an extremely interesting challenge, and one
> with a lot of social benefit (which is my main goal) to get Microsoft to
> open up and realize the benefits of cooperation as well as the benefits
> of competition, and to find a better balance between the two.  Just as I
> urged Allchin and Mundie and other MS folks to talk to open source
> folks, I urge you guys to be more open to talking to Microsoft.
>
> Cass Sunstein's book republic.com talks about the dynamics of groups
> that talk only to people who already agree with them:  they tend to
> become more extreme, reinforcing their existing beliefs, while groups
> that regularly engage in dialogue with people who have opposite views
> tend to moderate towards the middle.
>
> Now, I have nothing against this group wanting to sit in a corner and be
> extremists, if that's what you want.  But since this is the premier
> gathering and conversation place for people who really care about the
> intersection of free software or open source and the business world, I'd
> much rather see us put our collective weight into engaging with "the
> enemy".  Yes, it might cause those of us in dialogue to become more
> moderate, but my firm belief is that it will help Microsoft to become
> more moderate as well.

I wonder if the best way to get microsoft and others to go open is to do a
better job of creating demand for it.  If customers demand it those
interested in the "money success" will find a way to make money with it.
From a boxed product view anyway.

If new companies adopt open software, to sell or use, and do well with it
others will follow the example.  "Engaging the enemy" as Tim puts it, in this
case a commercial vendor, is best done by beating them at their game..winning
customers.

--
Steve Mallett
steve@opensourcedirectory.com | http://www.OpenSourceDirectory.org