Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:56:48 +0900

    Tom> However, F developers may have trouble recognizing such
    Tom> theories:

This doesn't matter.  You still have to eat -- ultimately you are
forced to choose between work and play.  The important difference is
that F developers are often willing to accept compensation in kind:
status, public spirit, fun, or

    Tom> a simpler alternative may be that they find F development to
    Tom> be a welcome respite from the economic treadmill.

What's fascinating to me about F is that it can generate "industrial
strength" (pun is the whole point) economic effects without financial
capital beyond individuals' willingness to accept compensation in
kind, and in small amounts.  F somehow putters along, demanding little
from charity and often without being asked for by anyone, and in the
process changes the world.