Subject: Re: Access denied: A copyright battle - Tech News - CNET.com
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:10:38 -0300

[Tim O'Reilly wrote:]
> This is perhaps an important issue for fsb readers to think about.  Do
> we need a license for contributions to publically-created databases?

I'd be very interested in this issue.  Here's why:

1) I am creating a database.

2) We're still busy building it (database & backend) & have not gotten to
packaging it for others to download yet.  It is built by ourselves & the
community.  But it will be soon.

3) I'm very interested in having others use it and/or display it on their
sites.  Like the dmoz model, I'd like people to be able to display the info
freely, but drive traffic to the site so others will populate it.

4) I'm not sure I want others to be able to change the information. (I don't
know why someone would do that, but that's another story.)  Perhaps filtering
it. For instance only displaying the parts that may be relevant to them.

We go through pains to *not* display information that is incorrect & it would
be a shame for an author's information to become "inaccurate".

5) We've taken the Terms of Service for our site by "sharing" the one at
SourceForge which is the one for the enire OSDN.  It says we can do anything
with the content, but that hardly secures that we will not cut it off to the
world. That's just a safe assumption given the spirit of open-source, but it
is assumption until that is in writing.
--
Steve Mallett
steve@opensourcedirectory.com | http:www.opensourcedirectory.org