Subject: Re: Q: Can you build an authentication system on OS?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:41:28 +0900

    Shiraz> then do you agree that how such data can be used should be
    Shiraz> regulated by a public license?

Er, what do you mean by a "public license" on _private_ data?

    >> While it may be possible that .NET could still control the
    >> authentication infrastructure and keep data at the edges of the
    >> network, i cannot see how this could happen.

    Shiraz> There are probably many ways [...].

Of course there are, and that's where we need to attack.  As Seth
points out:

    Seth> [...] the confounding of browser-related with
    Seth> non-browser-related code in Windows was an essential
    Seth> component of Microsoft's business strategy.  Likewise,
    Seth> confounding Passport with the .NET components is an integral
    Seth> part of the .NET strategy.

So we need to show that it is technically not necessary, and hammer on
the fact that Microsoft's whole business model _has_ to be predicated
on invasion of privacy (ie, using your personal data for the profit of
Microsoft).  We need to insist on the difference between Land's End
remembering your wife's shoe size, and Microsoft selling that data to
Eddie Bauer so the latter can spam you.

I think that, especially among small merchants, there is a lot of
resentment of the "VISA tax".  I doubt they'll want to pay "Passport
tax" on top of that.  It may be possible to spark interest in a free
authentication service among them, simply to guarantee competition.