Subject: Re: Q: Can you build an authentication system on OS?
From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:45:05 -0700 (PDT)

The recent CDDB/Gracenote fiasco and the current
discussion by Zimran and Brian about authentication
scheme that M$ is pushing sparked this thought in my
head.

Any database created by the public should remain
freely accessible to the public in perpetuity.

So as a mental exercise - I'd like to see if we as a
group can come up with a license that controls how a
public database can be forced to allow free access to
its data in perpetuity. Lets call this the GFD license
(for GFD frees data - a suitably recursive name)

I know this is not a lawyers list (and I am not a
lawyer either) but I've seen enough legal firepower on
this list to believe we can give this a shot. At this
stage, the real issue is not the legalities but what
is it that we would want from such a license.

Of course, there is still the question of - who will
use it. For starters - maybe the government could. If
it gets popular then it becomes a badge of honor and
others will use it too. Clueful folks may not give up
data without some guarantees but it's the clueless
ones I'm worried about.

Anyway - this is only a mental exercise - for now.

shiraz
skanga@bigfoot.com