Subject: Re: As if the DMCA wasn't bad enough
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 16:33:51 -0500

On Saturday 08 September 2001 15:06, Bernard Lang wrote:
> PS why do you assume that Republicans and Democrats agree on this
> proposal ... I did not see it in the article.

     Well, the DMCA was passed 99-0 in the senate in '98, passed
overall by a Republican Congress and a Democrat President.
     More importantly, the supporters of this type of legislation have
deep pockets, and it's spun as a moral rights issue rather than an
implementation of public policy solely to further the progress of the
arts and sciences.  It's much easier for the proponents to spin a
simple-minded moral issue (theft) than opponents to discuss the proper
balance of public and private interests in the tradeoff that is
copyright, particularly in the age of the soundbyte.

Lynn