Subject: Re: Free Software in Embedded Systems (was Re: Studies)
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:51:14 +0200 (MET DST)

> If I write free software, I don't see how I could ever
> secure investment capital for software development unless
> it was part of some larger strategy, such as using free
> software as an enabler for embedded hardware.  Engineering
> is a huge expense and the free software community has yet
> to come up with a solution for building large software
> systems in an economically rational way in a reasonable
> amount of time.

  How then do you explain Linux. Is it a small software system?

My point of view is that software development (for general purpose
software) should actually be developed openly by independent people or
academic-like organizations. I do not believe that the secrecy that
surrounds corporate development is compatible with the kind of social
process that is required to refine software specification and
implementation. (cf. http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/ecrits/hardboiled)

   Developing software is essentially similar to developing scientific
or mathematical theories. It works well only in the open. In my
opinion, this is why Linux is better than Windows.

  It does not preclude business development, services or applications
(and they do exist in Math too) but the core has to be free in the
long term.

Amicalement

  Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644