Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:05:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> From a business perspective, what matters most for universities is
> that their research achievements are truly innovative.

Correct, so they can get a defensible patent.  Not good for us.

> A focus on Free Software research will create such an environment.

Not justified from a "business perspective".  We need to remind at least
the public universities who pays most of their bills.  The private
universities are already too dependent on the income from derivatives, IP,
and donations from wealthy alumni made wealthy by the tech they invented
while at the school.

An interesting economic study would be to see who had a greater "impact"
(measured a couple different ways: total wealth created, number of
individuals whose lives were improved, etc) on the IT industry over the
last 20 years, UC Berkeley or Stanford.  What spawned more IT startups,
Berkeley Unix or Stanford networking?  Probably too complicated to form an
objective analysis, but a fun train of thought.

	Brian, UCB near-alumni.