Subject: Free RDBMS market case (was Re: "I've got more programmers than you")
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 07:58:14 +0900

Quoting cleaned up a bit.

    kms> on Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:20:15PM -0700, David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:

    >> Free industrial-strength RDBMS?  Just forget it.

    kms> Strongly disagreed.

Ah, I should have expected you to blind-side me with a business
argument for RDBMS while I was writing that nobody was making one.

    kms> I identified the RDBMS arena as one in which free software
    kms> would make significant inroads, May 10 of last year,

I think David (and I) meant by "industrial strength" what you refer to
as the "high ground" that IBM and Oracle can hold.  A quibble, and I'm
not at all sure that David and I are focusing on the right thing here.

But let's assume the high ground is not really the issue, and look at
what's happening.

    kms> Today's results for a similar query on Google (Altameter is
    kms> broken, this may be a temporary issue).

    kms>     Database       Hits        Query/wk
    kms>     --------    ---------      --------
    kms>     Oracle:     2,180,000       441,900
    kms>     mysql:      1,220,000       152,600

Now here's a no-brainer MBA exercise for you:  Get Oracle's database
revenues; get tcX's.  Divide revenue by hits and see who is more
efficient at turning interest into revenue.

And another one.  Lots of people, both on FSB and in the discussion in
"why-not-mysql.html" announced how happy they were with MySQL.  Take
exactly that group, and let's add up how much revenue they generated
for MySQL---and for Oracle.

I don't have those numbers, but I know what my guesses are.

I see the market penetration, all right.  But what's the FSB
_business_ model here?