Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran_ahmed@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:47:19 -0700 (PDT)

> > in drug development.  That margin has to pay for
> all the failures you
> > never admit even got started (not to mention the
> ones that got
> > announced and you blew a wad on marketing before
> they got killed).
>
> ...which is fine if you're arguing his words, and
> well considered.

this is quite true (in fact I argued this elsewhere)
but that's to ammortize the software development cost.
FSBs will not be successful without software
versioning if they have to cover software development
cost. And versioning software means you're moving to a
mixed open-source, closed-source environment.

> all operations.  Margin on product is likely higher.

*much* higher. microsoft wastes alot of R&D, and uses
all sorts of tricky accounting principles to smooth
out its revenue. Product margins are obscenely high,
even if operating margins aren't astronomical.

-zimran

=====
human interaction over the next 25 years:
http://www.winterspeak.com