Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: rwoodworth@wesleyan.edu (Ryan)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:59:41 -0400

At 10:31 AM 10/16/2001, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>those privileges cannot be made universal without vast
>improvements in productivity.  Gross world product per head still
>won't pay for a round trip Tokyo-San Francisco in economy class IIRC;
>forget about business class.

Yes, and when was the last time you were in a run-of-the-mill workplace and
observed that the aforementioned level of "productivity" was the result of
a uniformly honest, decent population being pressed to the limits of their
creativity and efficiency?

I would not be at all surprised if many (if not most) subscribers to this
list believed that suitable use of the automated tools *currently
available* could increase this "productivity" by, say, a factor of 10,000.
Indeed, that is a conceivable side effect of... well, of practically any of
the sweeping reforms in software development/implementation I've seen
proposed on this list.

r.

(P.S.  Whether or not a species thus released from the drudgery of
mechanistic avocation really ought to spend all their time in the sort of
bourgeois benzedrine stupor to which Mr. Lord refers is a topic for another
list  :)

"Maybe that's why young people make success.  They don't know enough.
Because when you know enough it's obvious that every idea that you have is
no good."
                                                               RICHARD
FEYNMAN