Subject: Re: torvalds
From: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
Date: 20 Oct 2001 11:27:20 -0400

> Am I the only one on the list who is not particularly thrilled by
> actually reading the code?

Certainly some of my (mekinok's) customers aren't, but one of them is
funding some NetBSD work to get around the problem.  Frankly, if we
had a community [and critically, a packaging toolset] like Debian
around a *BSD-quality kernel, we'd have done boxedpenguin with BSD
first.  (And if we were more mercenary about it, we'd have done
Solaris first :-)

> actually reading the code?

Some of the unease may come from it being C code.  There is lots of
*leverage* in working with C code [one flaw of the Free Software
space: Free Software has massive opportunities for code reuse, but
eww, so much of it is C or C++...] but wow, the phrase "criminal
negligence" leaps to mind, and I've been doing it for 16 years...